Victorian Students’ Parliamentary Program
Posted on 11/02/2021
The Victorian Students’ Parliamentary Program (VSPP) provides opportunities throughout the year for students and their schools to engage in immersive Civics and Citizenship activities aimed at improving students’ understanding of parliamentary processes. Keep reading to discover the variety of opportunities currently available.
1. Applications for the National Schools’ Constitutional Convention closing soon!
The National Schools Constitutional Convention (24-25 March) is an annual event that brings senior secondary students (Years 11 and 12) to Canberra to discuss the Australian Constitution. Supported by the Australian Government, it promotes learning about the Australian Constitution and how it shapes our democracy, and promotes understanding of our democratic heritage and traditions. This year, due to COVID-19 restrictions, satellite events will be held simultaneously in each capital city. Students wishing to apply should visit https://ncsonline.com.au/projects/national-schools-constitutional-convention and submit their application to email@example.com by 12 February 2021.
2. Applications are now open for the Local Parliamentary Conventions
Each year between April and June, DET provides funding ($1,000 each) for up to eight secondary schools to host a Local Parliamentary Convention as part of this program. Each convention involves exploration of a political question and culminates in a day of guest speakers, debate and a final vote on the chosen topic, simulating a parliamentary vote. Schools are encouraged to invite other local schools to participate on the day. The program provides the opportunity for schools to:
· Further explore the civics and citizenship curriculum
· Encourage student voice and provide students with the opportunity to express their views
· Allow students to share their ideas and thoughts with students from other schools
· Learn about topical issues from experts
· Build partnerships with other schools For more information: visit https://ncsonline.com.au/projects/victorian-students-parliamentary-program To apply: complete the application form and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 26 March 2021.
3. State-wide primary and secondary school parliamentary conventions
The state-wide parliamentary conventions bring together a minimum of 100 school students, from participating schools at the Parliament House of Victoria for a one-day event. Wherever possible the Speaker of the Victorian Parliament presides over the day. Schools are responsible for selecting and preparing a minimum of two students and maximum of four student participants who will represent the views of their classmates, simulating representative democracy. This year there will be two primary and two secondary conventions to make up for conventions which were not able to go ahead last year.
Dates for 2021
· State-wide Primary School Conventions (Year 5&6 students only)
Convention 1: Tuesday 27 July 2021
Convention 2: Thursday 21 October 2021
· State-wide Secondary School Conventions (Year 10 & 11 students only)
Convention 1: Thursday 29 July 2021
Convention 2: Tuesday 7 September 2021